Thursday, 10 June 2010

World Cup of Clichés

"It's those plucky little Africans' chance to show the world that Africa has changed."

That's roughly what the coverage of this year's World Cup in South Africa amounts to. That and a few other worn-out clichés.

First, there's the idea that this tournament somehow tells us something about 'Africa' (imagine the ludicrousness in claiming that hosting a competition in, say, Thailand would give 'Asia' the chance to prove that human rights are being being respected by 'Asians'). Then there's the big question what change means in this context: Changed from what and to what?

I suspect that as long as cameras show a few smiling six-year-olds smiling in a township saying 'Welcome to South Africa' and the tournament goes smoothly (global revenue for Nike et al goes up; happy faces in the crows; perhaps one or two reaffirming culturally stereotypical incidents in downtown Joburg), then everyone will feel better about themselves. That's until the next problem (anywhere in Africa), which will then be met with consternation and patronage (I thought 'they' had changed!).

I'm not entirely sure what I expect from the coverage, but what I've seen so far doesn't bode well. How can reports on South Africa be treated with such generalisations (it's Africa's World Cup) and be so vague without being torn apart by someone, anyone watching reports on the build-up? Apartheid is mentioned in some vague, abstract terms; something that happened in a distant past and (just like colonialism, of course) has no connection to the present. For some unknown reason, the Dutch will enjoy strong support in South Africa, we are told, though we are never told why that might be and what that tells us about South Africa (not 'Africa').

Then the clichéd predictions. As with every World Cup, the pundits (in the British press, though not exclusively so, of course) get paid to simply rank the teams in order of FIFA ranking and boldly pronounce that this is exactly how things will transpire. The top team of each group will indeed finish top who will then go and progress to the quarters. Of course this never ever happens.

As such, everyone simply lists Spain, Brazil, Argentina, and the jingo vote for England. Firstly, how anybody can seriously believe England will win the World Cup (or even get through to the semis) is beyond me. They are a typical potential quarter-finalist, but no more. And then there are the 'cupsets'. Spain have been playing the most free-flowing football of perhaps the last 30 years, but something (like Brazil '82) tells me they will get knocked out in the quarters (mas o menos). Argentina are the great unknown (they could lose all three matches, or win the lot). Brazil, yes, I think Brazil are in with a real chance.

But the British press, as usual, discount Italy and Germany (this time, they won't get through to the semis, unlike glorious England). So here's a frightening statistic for you: Since 1966 (annus mirabilis) Germany have always finished at least one round ahead of England. I predict that this run will continue this time round, too. Italy will somehow stumble their way to the quarters and semis, the Dutch might for once get far.

As far as potential surprises are concerned, well, we are told by pundits that Chile play well, so we can discount them. So here's a list: Uruguay, Serbia, Cameroon (James' Avatar, David's not-defeat, now this?), Algeria. Note: I said potential. And Chile might yet still have a chance.

One last quibble: The Group of Death. Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast, North Korea is not the group of death, despite claims to the contrary. Brazil will handsomely win this group and whoever wins the first match between Portugal and Ivory Coast will come second (only to be knocked out instantly, since both teams aren't really up for it). Groups of Death must be evenly-matched where one can imagine any combination of two going through. These groups include Group A (France, South Africa, Uruguay, Mexico), Group B (Argentina, South Korea, Greece, Nigeria; what a group!), Group D (Germany, Australia, Ghana, Serbia) and Group E (Netherlands, Japan, Cameroon, Denmark). England and Italy have the easiest groups.

Enjoy.

PS: It's ok, though, because Shakira is leading the way in empowering Africans, and we know that her lips don't lie.

22 comments:

13thDukeofWybourne said...

Olching,

living in the Netherlands I can tell you that there has been diddly squat mention here of South African support for Holland.

Not once has any Dutch reporter spoke to the locals in Dutch or Afrikaans, it's always in English.

If anything, the Dutch coverage here is focused entirely on the townships and keeping away from the Afrikaaners due to, shall we say, delicate historical issues.

No doubt BBC and ITV will make regular references to local 'exhuberance' off the pitch and 'African defensive naivete' on it.

olching said...

Duke,

That doesn't surprise me at all. The British media still very much peddle the notion of European benevolence and a general stereotypical camaraderie steeped in cultural hierarchies.

In fact, I doubt there's any real support for orange-clad men (mainly white) doing well in South Africa. It just fills some airtime when reporting inanities for the British media.

And yes, if and when the African teams falter, this will undoubtedly be due to their 'lack of (European) discipline', but in the end, they are probably just 'happy to be there' (bizarrely, the same patronising tone is often adopted regarding northern teams in the Premier League - a kind of internal orientalism).

What are the Dutch expecting from this World Cup?

Lester said...

Olching and The Duke (hi Duke...haven't seen you around for a while...hope alls well)

Try this thought experiment...imagine for a moment that the singularly most inane stereotype-churning cliché-ejaculating unchallenging and tedium-pulsating analysts in the history of broadcasting...i.e: the football journalist...actually managed to overcome their half-witted reliance on reproducing ad infinitum the same three observations about the football itself...

...and on top of that the corporate mouthpiece that generates these abominations actually used this circus of diversion and redirection to actually focus on the very things that the world cup is specifically designed to disguise in it's gorgeous celebration of mindless tribalism...

...Okay?

...now admit that you really prefer the continuation of normal programming because wouldn't the above be so fucking disconcerting as to freak you right out?

...and this from a football fan...

olching said...

Hi Lester,

You mean we actually want the inanities? I still press the mute button when certain commentators and pundits speak (I wonder whether there'll be the red button option again of just having the crowd noise).

Lester said...

Olching

I sure don't want the inanities...but I would be amazed if the first sign of a cracking in the stranglehold on "reality" appeared through something so ludicrously constructed as international sports events...

...I know what you mean about the mute button...I try not to listen the commentary in English which helps...other countries journalists (Sweden and Spain) are as useless but somehow listening in a second language disables the red-line irritation...

13thDukeofWybourne said...

Lester,

hello sir. All is well with me thanks and I hope you're well too. I see Sweden didn't qualify for the first time in a long time.

Where you say other countries journalists (Sweden and Spain) are as useless but somehow listening in a second language disables the red-line irritation...

is absolutely the same for me. Listening to Dutch commentary and pundits is a lot less annoying than BBC/ITV.

Dutch commentary consists of one commentator (no Andy Townsend co-commentating fuckwittery here) saying what's happening in the game. It's great, if there's nothing happening in the game nothing is said.

And the chief commentator on Dutch TV is called Frankie Snooks. Beat that.

Olching,

the Dutch are quietly confident. Everything relies on the holding midfielders van Bommel and de Jong. Their defence is not the best so the holding midfielders have a doubly difficult job.

Up front they will score goals- Robben, Sneijder, van der vaart, van Persie, Huntelaar. Goals could come from every angle.

Lester said...

Duke

Yep...knocked out by the Danes of all people...

Same here too...here there's a kind of Zen like embracing of silence rather than filling every moment with bar-propping incitements disguised as commentary...

...I cant see past Spain or Brazil as winners but as you brilliantly put it olching there are always cupsets...

Peter said...

I just can't stand football, so my problem is how to avoid the whole thing.

olching said...

Peter,

I suspect you won't be able to avoid it, even Radio 4 reports on it (not live, but in a pseudo-cultural way...not unlike our waffling here).

I like football, but I know people who don't, so I can only imagine...

Czarny Kot said...

I am usually a World Cup anorak. A week or two before kick-off I get my guide in and plan my life around the matches.

This time round, I'm just not that bothered. The coverage might be part of it-- just be thankful you've got BBC when the only English-language TV I get is CNN. CNN 'super fan smackdowns' ?!?!?!

A report on C4 news about life in the Cape Town slums also sort of dampened any enthusiasm. There is also the fact that I find it harder and harder to muster any affection for my own team, England.

Or maybe World Cups are like Christmas-- less and less magical as life goes on.

Still, first match wasn't bad. Hoping that Uruguay do one on France.

I'll be rooting for Paraguay, as always. Why? Because they're Paraguay!

PS: Shakira has always been invloved in children's charities, has written songs about East Timor and abortion and has a degree in International Relations. She's not African though.

Lester said...

Hi Peter

Great to see you here...

When I was a kid we lived in New Zealand...then sport was generally less socially divided...so which sports you played said less about you than it did in Britain...

...by the time we moved to the south of England I had grown up playing tennis, rugby, cricket and golf...which were ordinary sports for ordinary kids and played and enjoyed by everybody...

...imagine my confusion when arriving in England it turned you I'd be brought up on a diet of elitist sports played by people utterly different from me and although I was good at them I was plainly not invited to the festival...

...football was always the outsiders sport in NZ but as I was immediately transformed into the outsider in GB it became a haven...

..weird old world eh?

Edwin Moore said...

Hi Olching (and hi Your Grace delighted to see you here).

Rod Liddle in the Sunday Times is saying much the same about the tidal wave of gush about Africa being populated entirely by happy smiling child-like people- an old stereotype. As Liddle rightly says, they don't talk like that abut the Germans, do they.

I fancy Argentina but then I fancy any team with three up front.

13thDukeofWybourne said...

Hello Edwin,

nice to talk again! Could you nip in to Mother India at the Partick end of Sauchiehall street and send me over a chicken chat with an enormous amount pakora? Cheers ;)

The issue also is with the enormous white elephants otherwise known as the post world cup stadiums.

In recent times, the FIFA insistence on state of the art stadia has left an expensive legacy. I read that in Japan and South Korea, the stadia built for 2002 have been almost empty and completely under utilised since, also costing a fortune in terms of upkeep.

The Japanese and South Koreans can afford this, the same cannot be said for South Africa post World Cup.

However, on the other side, hosting the world cup does bring a sense of prestige to LEDC's. In the run up to the 1962 World Cup, Chile suffered the biggest earthquake ever recorded (9.5) destroying the infrastructure.

As FIFA pondered whether to move the WC, Carlos Dittborn, the Chilean organiser famously said "We have to have the world cup because we have nothing else". So although the cost and legacy will probably be detrimental, if the South Africans in general terms, then who are we to argue?

What was disgraceful was the enormous amounts of empty seats at the South Korea-Greece game in Port Elizabeth yesterday. If they haven't sold the tickets, let the locals in for free.

It can easily be done with the amount of security in place and would give good media to FIFA. Ridiculous that so many locals can't see a game.

Edwin Moore said...

Your Grace I pass Mother India every morning taking our youngest to the Gaelic school!

The white elephant stadium and structural thing is going to be a big issue in Glasgow with the Commonwealth Games, hope to get some pre-construction pics up here soon

www.glasgowalbum.blogspot.com

Apparently - haven't had this confirmed - money is being siphoned away from projects in Easterhouse and elesewhere into the development. I was part of the Unison demo in the Candleriggs when we heard the cheering inside at the announcement that Glasgow had got the games and not Abuja. We booed!

Always watch the money and the jobs.

olching said...

Hi Edwin.

Argentina were a bit disappointing, I thought, as has been the entire World Cup (apart from Germany and - bizarrely - the Italy-Paraguay match).

I hope they introduce vuvuzelas in the studio. I find myself disagreeing with everything the pundits say. Please someone drown out their noise.

Pat Davers said...

I've obviously been hanging around with you lot too long..... I found myself cheering on North Korea last night!

parallaxview said...

Laughs at/with Pat - hey, shame they - umm - bombed ... there may be hope for us* yet in that group

*refers to high-hyped (local media) but low-expectation (realists) team

parallaxview said...

right - cancel that - North Korea are not Serbia are they? Fat lot I know about whoTFisplayingwho(m) in this strange conglomeration of fightclub illusions ...

WC soccer, as an international occasion, is pretty much on a par with Winter Olympic luge in my part of the woods - ie *we're* pretty crap at it so tend to ignore it - except that every other person in Sydney talks about it because they come from somewhere where it matters*

*and that's more a reflection of noticing how many people sport colours of another country mainly because most indigenous people can't be arsed to wear the home colours for soccer ....

Edwin Moore said...

'Argentina were a bit disappointing, I thought, as has been the entire World Cup (apart from Germany and - bizarrely - the Italy-Paraguay match).'

It's not been riveting! I'm backing England but would hope that Argentina pick up. But can't say I'm involved. Agree abiotu the comentators - they seem dumber than usual except Pat Nevin on radio 5 - like Pat, but hell even Rangers supporters like Pat.

Just noticed the word I have to verify below is 'messe' - if it was 'messi' it would be a sign perhaps.

olching said...

We were all routing for North Korea, Pat! They played well, mind you, but it won't be enough, unless they play like that again and pull off a shock victory against Portugal, though that might be enough the way the group has been going.

Hi parallax,

I though the Aussies would be rather pleased with themselves: They converted plenty of kicks by lobbing them over the crossbar and their kicking long into touch was impeccable ;0)

Czarny, only just noted your support for Paraguay. I usually despise the also-rans from South America (for their horrible, horrible football; see the Urus), but Paraguay played well against Italy and don't stand out as uniquely negative (at least in this World Cup).

Edwin,

leaving the patronising arsewipe the pundits have been offering the public, they also seem incapable of analysing the match. They merely repeat their stereotypical views even if the opposite has just happened. So Germany's attacking, flamboyant football becomes 'typical Germans', Ronaldo's inept performance against CIV demonstrates his greatness, and Messi missing 6 guilt edged chances are evidence that he is superb (he is very good, just not consistently so when faced with tough opposition, as demonstrated against Nigeria and in the last 3 Champions League semi-finals).

My word verification is usnjurt; difficult to read much into it, but I do think it is a fairly good onomatopoeic for the quality of football so far at this WC (a mixture of turgid and shit).

Edwin Moore said...

Well we switch over at 8 to watch Springwatch - the twittering is much more entertaining!

Hi parallax hope you're well.

ed

parallaxview said...

Oh right...excellent, we're ahead in field goals - thanks olching I knew you'd find a good side to our abysmal performance.

Heya Edwin, I'm good thanks (as I'm ungrammatically inclined to say). Best wishes heading your way.