
The Guardian has published one of a million definitive guides to the music of the decade. The Streets' Original Pirate Material was named album of the decade. It's a good choice. Whilst much of the decade of the noughties has been dominated by meaningless tat - either an 'ironic' 80s feeling or the whinging indie scene - The Streets genuinely represented something new.
When I first heard Don't Mug Yourself on radio in 2002, I remember feeling that this was something quite new and different. And indeed, both the first and second album were full of gems, often quite radical pieces of music that made much of its contemporary music sound like Barry Manilow reheated.
It's always artificial looking back on a decade and imagining there is some kind of story to be told. Still, humans make sense of the world by labelling, tagging, and identifying trends and currents that define certain periods and time frames.
The noughties have not been great for music. The Streets aside, I can only think of a few mainstream acts that deserve mention. Jarvis Cocker made an impressive comeback with his first solo album. Dizzee Rascal, similarly to The Streets, introduced something quite new. LCD Soundsystem from the US made both the current generation and not current generation feel 'edgy'. There are probably others that deserve a mention.
Of course Simon Cowell and the overt music industry have further eroded and destroyed the music industry (as if the mid 80s weren't bad enough). But there was another telling development:
The demise of so-called indie music.
If there is one type of music I can no longer listen to at all, it is so-called indie music. From raving egoists and heroine addicted poets in the early 1990s, the term indie has now morphed into meaning either vacuous 'fun music' or - worse still - whinging. It is the latter that has utterly relegated 'indie music' (and perhaps the 'classic' guitar-based band setup) to the fourth division of music.
Coldplay, Stereophonics, Oasis, Keane, David Gray, The Strokes, The Zutons, Muse, The Kaiser Chiefs and so on and so forth, all represent the most meaningless, dated form of music. If the 1990s witnessed the commercialisation of what had been a subversive name, the noughties surely have seen the end of guitar-based bands as we know them. Just like Rock'n'Roll died in the 1960s (to be continued in embarrassing form only by the most hideous bands like Bay City Rollers or Shakin' Stevens), so too has indie guitar music come to its end. Not before time.

7 comments:
#Coldplay, Stereophonics, Oasis, Keane, David Gray, The Strokes, The Zutons, Muse, The Kaiser Chiefs and so on and so forth, all represent the most meaningless, dated form of music.#
Agree entirely..don't think the guitar based band will ever disappear though. Every generation discovers lt, just like they discover sex, drugs, parenthood, growing up and getting old. These things are cyclical..eventually a new lot will come along with something to say..something genuinely angry; I'm guessing a widespread political awakening might trigger it..general societal indolence and apathy kills music.
There's always something angsty, authentic and relevant around...it just isn't too likely to arise right now from what has become the guitar bands natural constituency..the middle-class arty demographic. I wouldn't write it off so confidently..a renewed working class appreciation of the guitar band or even Tory cuts might reinvigorate the genre...mummy and daddy kicked out of their cushy public sector number or losing their quango slot could yet leave young Nigel or Jeremy with a social conscience, a political motivation or two and a lot of spare anger. I'd prefer the working class scenario myself but who knows?
..and bearing in mind the list you posted...a bit of songwriting talent wouldn't go amiss..whatever happened to fuckin lyrics?
MF,
Yes, I agree, the whole problem is confounded by the absence of any real talent (both lyrically and musically). How the fuck did this happen?
Yes, I agree, it's EasyListening (sic) for a middle-class audience. I have noted this before (and got hammered on CiF when hinting at this).
Let's not also forget the huge impact the Simon Cowell's of this world have had on music in the last decade. Utterly foul stuff.
I agree with you on all the Indie shite, can't stand most of it.
I feel the same way about The Streets and the rest though, glorified ringtones if you ask me.
I'm listening to the Essential Leonard Cohen whilst sliding into a trough of melancholic depression.
Old School!!!!!!!! Or should that be Skool??
Hi Czarny,
It should probably be 'skool'.
Well, I do think the Streets are the sound of the decade. There is always a question of reproducing 3, 4, 5 albums, but that's the only way anyone would hear of anyone.
In any case, I've heard Mike Skinner's calling it a day after next year's album...
Hope all is well.
Nah. You're just getting older and settled in your tastes.
This sounds fogeyish, obviously, but the truth is that as you get older your powers of discernment increase simply by force of having heard so much more stuff and having acauired a corpus of so many more old things with which to compare the new. This is why any investments made in Getting Dahn Wiv Da Kidz produce diminishing returns until at some call cut your losses and get on with the "old" stuff, whatever that may be....
I'm not too sure, Pat.
there is probably something in that (ageing etc...), but there is nothing ground-breaking, the kind of stuff that challenges in music anymore.
The music industry has always been problematic, but now it is wholly dominated by the Cowells and BritSchools that are completely and utterly antithetical to creativity of any sorts.
I realise this is v late comment, but I've only just found your (enjoyable) blog...
Some valid criticisms here, but I think you've left out dubstep as one of the genuinely new movements that's coming out of Blighty.
Untrue by Burial pisses all over The Streets in terms of innovativeness (is that a word?).
Oh and like monkeyfish up top I reckon Tory cuts will reinvigorate guitar music. Since Labour have been in the indie scene has become gentrified, to use a horrible sociology expression, with the rise of middle-class wankers like Keane and Coldplay. Dunno why that's the way it is, but it is.
Post a Comment