Friday, 1 May 2009

Newsnight blogging

What is blogging? A stupid word, to begin with. In fact, I hate it (both the word and the action). I find it can be extremely meaningless and when I 'blog' (bizarrely I imagine others to be bloggers and never see myself as one). I usually (as has become custom) drink cider whilst watching Question Time and/or Newsnight Review. I then - semi-inebriated - write something I consider topical while taking in the discussion on the screen. A pretty absurd picture, if you can paint an image of it for a moment. 

So inevitably, Newsnight Review had to one day tackle the issue of blogging whilst, well, I'm jotting down observations of Newsnight Review. Tonight is that night. And in a interesting little twist, the item (about to be shown) is about a policeman's blog. I feel rather remorseful for calling the police 'filth' and 'pigs' (though understandably so in light of being kettled at the Bank of England precisely a month ago), though I am waiting with bated breath to listen to the analysis. 

It features the blog NightJack, the Orwell Prize Winner 2009, which is the diary of a police officer going by the pseudonym Jack Night. Can it be literature, Kirsty Wark asks.........

........we delve into the life of Jack Night in the Newsnight Review item. We hear about the Evil Poor, 1950s policing idealism, keeping the peace, protecting life and property, morale at the front and so on.

Paul Morley opines that it is not a blog, but rather literature and criticises user-generated content, which - despite the fact I am typing this - I quite agree with. He hopes that a great writer like Jack Night should be able to find a way of converting this into printed literature. I have not read it in detail; I cannot judge. But then he compares it to a DVD box set, where one watches one episode after another. 

Diane Wei Liang likes the blog and doesn't share Paul Morley's reservations of blogging, but what is revealed is that Jack Night has stopped blogging and is now preparing his novel. Does that indicated that typing on a keyboard and storing the content in cyberspace is in fact just a stage, an inbetween? 

What about the anonymity and the fear of being discovered? 

Miranda Sawyer believes that anonymity has actually been beneficial to the quality of Jack Night's content (and blogging in general). He and others are not represented by Max Clifford and similar vampires. It also makes it very difficult to pin down. Paul Morley points out that it is very difficult to put Jack Night into particular political categories. He is neither left, right, centrist, liberal, authoritarian or anything else. 

But does this really apply to other bloggers? Personally, I think it is not to difficult to get a feel for political discourses in blogs. Are we thus more exposed to a variety of political discourses? I am torn between believing on the one hand that we get 'boxed in', merely choosing what suits us (prime examples would be exterme right-wingers who frequent self-fulfilling sites confirming white is might is right); but on the other hand (and judging perhaps from own experience), the web necessarily exposes us to blogs, thought, articles, pieces that do in fact challenge our comfort zone. But perhaps it would be far too naive that seemingly boundless information automatically results in the ability to choose without restriction. Our own world - the one we create - leads us to and from particular areas and fora, and the idea that are choices are free and start at zero strikes me as ill-conceived and a libertarian myth. 

The bottle is empty; Newsnight is up....... 

5 comments:

wordnerd7 said...

A good chuckle all the way through, olching, and thanks for putting me in your links . . . have added you to mine, if that's alright. (In your links, you've put 'Wordytran' next to 'acacciatura' -- Who is that? I'm 'wordnerd7' . . . :) )

Your question about whether blogging will only be an intermediate stage for (most?) talented writers is a good one.

About ...

=== Paul Morley opines that it is not a blog, but rather literature and criticises user-generated content, which - despite the fact I am typing this - I quite agree with. ===

. . . Wouldn't you discriminate between types of 'user-generated content,' though? Some is good; some awful -- as in all media, books, films, TV etc..

olching said...

Whoops! I've changed your name. Apologies, but do bear in mind I set up the CiF Partisan links after a few bottles of cousin-home-made cider :0)

Yes, I think the intermediate stage is an important one to think about. Speaking from a personal perspective, I only use it as an aside - perhaps as a stream of consciousness.

Yes, I think you have a point about simply distinguishing between good and bad 'user-generated' content. ?I Morley was making the point that because of its content, Jack Night's blog no longer qualifies as a blog. But I suppose your interjection stands: It's simply a well-written blog.

wordnerd7 said...

I tried getting onto Jack Knight's blog from a report on the prize and got a message that said that it had been shut down. . . must try again ...

=== It's simply a well-written blog. ===

I can tell, from the reactions . . . And to my surprise, I've been finding more and more of these. They are making it harder to read opinion pieces in newspapers, conventionally written; conventionally edited . .. unless the argument is really sharp or original, the predictability of the structure, not just the word choices, bores me. By comparison, blog-reading is full of surprises. But there's a lot of frog-kissing on the way to finding the good ones.

parallaxview said...

blogging and cider, a close-to-perfect combination, thanks olching.

I'm calling in to say thank you for your conciliatory intervention on another forum. I really appreciate the weight of your support. By all accounts the flash in the pan issue is all resolved.

Hey, I'm off trekking for a while, I'll return with trinkets - or at least have something to add to your newly discovered blog.

Thanks again, parallax

olching said...

Wordnerd, some blogs are entertaining, even informative, or simply well-written, but I'm still unresolved on this issue. There is so much out there...perhaps too much? But then still, we seem to construct a fairly viable 'community' where people recognise each other etc and can refer to recognisable content and sites and so on...

No worries, parallax. I was away for a bit and inundated with work, so couldn't jump in earlier. Anyway, glad it's been resolved.

Hope you have a good journey. Travelling is excellent. It's good to get away. Looking forward to the trinkets. Take care.